What’s more Irish than a traditional recipe for corn beef and cabbage? Even though my family has no Irish heritage, we still celebrate St. Patrick’s Day by the traditional meal of corn beef and cabbage. It has a very unique and exquisite taste to it. Some people may not enjoy the taste of corn beef and cabbage, but others do. If you want to experience the traditional meal of corn beef and cabbage, and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, then follow the recipe below!
– 3 pounds of corn beef brisket with spice packet
– 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
– 1 large head of cabbage , cut into small wedges
1) Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water.
2) Add the spice packet that came with the corn beef.
3) Cover the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
4) Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender.
5) Add cabbage and cook for 15 minutes. Remove meat and let it rest for 15 more minutes.
6) Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth as you want.
7) Slice the meat across the grain. ( The whole corn beef and cabbage is ready in 2 hours and 35 minutes)
8) Enjoy the traditional corn beef and cabbage !
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Getting tired of the same old mashed or baked potatoes? Want to try something new for Christmas dinner? Here is a new, fun method that can spice up your experience with potatoes. Potato Casserole. This dish is extremely tasteful, creamy, and delicious. Always having this dish on Christmas Day is a family tradition for my house. I love the Potato Casserole dish so much that I always want to have it every day. This dish is especially good for leftovers as well. If you want to experience a new dish involving potatoes, follow the simple recipe below!
– 1 pound of frozen hash brown potatoes ( 4 1/2 cups)
– 2/3 cups ( 1/2 of 10 3/4 oz can) condensed cream of chicken soup
– 1 8oz container of sour cream
– 1 cup (4 oz) shredded sharp chedder cheese
– 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
– 4 tablespoons of butter or margarine, melted
– 3 cups of Rice Chex cereal- crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter in shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
2. In large bowl, break up potatoes (don’t need to thaw).
3. Continue with soup, sour cream, cheese, onion, salt and pepper .
4. Add to potatoes and mix thoroughly.
5. Mix the ingredients into the baking dish.
6. Combine butter and Chex crumbs until evenly coated. Sprinkle over potato mixture.
7. Bake 50-55 minutes or until potatoes are tender. (Makes 6-8 servings)
* 2 dishes usually double the recipe and bake in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish
Enjoy the Potato Casserole dish !!
Merry Christmas !!