Mother’s Day is a great day to bake their favorite dessert! As long as the mothers do not need to do the baking or clean up the mess, they will love the dessert! On Mother’s Day, my sister, father, and I always bake her favorite cake, German Chocolate Cake. My mother absolutely loves German Chocolate Cake, so every year for Mother’s Day we bake the cake to show our love and appreciation for her. Even the little things like baking her favorite desserts, mothers will appreciate. Begin the tradition of providing the love and appreciation for Mother’s Day with their favorite dessert! Follow below for the recipe of the delicious, rich, and creamy German Chocolate Cake.
– 2 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
– 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
– 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa power
– 2 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda
– 2 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 3/4 cup of vegetable oil
– 3 eggs
– 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 cups of hot water
– 3 egg yolks
– 1/2 cup of butter
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
– 1 cup of chopped pecans
– 1 1/3 cups of flaked coconut
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom and sides of a deep 14×17- inch baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
2) Sift sugar, flour, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Transfer to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment; whisk dry ingredients together on low.
3) Whisk milk, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract together in a separate medium bowl. Add to the flour mixture and mix at low speed until well incorporated, about 5 minutes.
4) Gradually add hot water while the mixer is on low speed until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet.
5) Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 1 hour.
6) While the cake is cooling, mix together the ingredients for the frosting.
7) In a large saucepan, combine the evaporated milk, brown sugar, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla extract. Cook over low heat, constantly stirring until thick.
8) Remove from heat and stir in the pecans and coconut. Let it cool to room temperature before spreading on the cake. Then enjoy the delicious, creamy German Chocolate Cake!
Happy Mother’s Day!