St. Patrick’s Day is a celebration of fun, festivities, and food! It is commonly known for beer, corn beef and cabbage, and Irish Potatoes! My family tradition for St. Patrick’s Day is Irish Potatoes and Green Ice Cream Jello. I absolutely love Irish Potatoes and could eat a thousand in just one day. My other favorite dessert dish is the green ice cream jello my mother makes. It is very delicious and simple, bringing in the celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. These two delicious desserts are very simple and easy to make. Start a new tradition for St. Patrick’s Day with Irish Potatoes and Green Ice Cream Jello. Follow the recipe below, if you want to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day!
– 1/4 cup of softened butter
– 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened (use regular cream cheese, not whipped)
– 1 (16 ounce) package of confectioner’s sugar
– 7 ounces of sweetened flaked coconut ( 2 1/2 cups)
– 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
1) In a large bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese
2) Add vanilla and confectioner’s sugar
3) Beat until the mixture forms a bowl
4) Stir in coconut with a spoon
5) Roll the mixture between your hands to form small potato-shaped candies
6) Place the cinnamon in a shallow dish and roll the balls in it
7) Place the balls on a cookie sheet and let them chill for about 1 hour or until firm
8) Then, enjoy the delicious Irish Potatoes!
Green Ice Cream Jello:
– 2 packages of jello (green)
– 1 package of knox unflavored gelatin
– 4 cups of boiling water
– 1 quart of nonfat vanilla ice cream
1) Mix together both packages of jello, gelatin, and boiling water to dissolve.
2) Add 1 quart of vanilla ice cream; stir until dissolved.
3) Pour into 9 x 13 glass dish
4) Refrigerate over night, cut and serve! The ice cream will float to the top of the jello.
( The total time to prepare this dish is ten minutes, besides refrigerating over night)
5) Enjoy the exquisite Green Ice Cream Jello!
What’s more Irish than a traditional recipe for corn beef and cabbage? Even though my family has no Irish heritage, we still celebrate St. Patrick’s Day by the traditional meal of corn beef and cabbage. It has a very unique and exquisite taste to it. Some people may not enjoy the taste of corn beef and cabbage, but others do. If you want to experience the traditional meal of corn beef and cabbage, and celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, then follow the recipe below!
– 3 pounds of corn beef brisket with spice packet
– 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
– 1 large head of cabbage , cut into small wedges
1) Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water.
2) Add the spice packet that came with the corn beef.
3) Cover the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
4) Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender.
5) Add cabbage and cook for 15 minutes. Remove meat and let it rest for 15 more minutes.
6) Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth as you want.
7) Slice the meat across the grain. ( The whole corn beef and cabbage is ready in 2 hours and 35 minutes)
8) Enjoy the traditional corn beef and cabbage !
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!